The Thirties Project

With the Christmas season slowly approaching, it didn't take me terribly long to decide on my next sewing project. Taking some inspiration from holiday classics, such as It's a Wonderful Life and Holiday Inn, I really wanted to replicate that classic late 30's/early 40's style in a cocktail dress.


As I started my usual sewing preparations in late November, time was more or less of the essence to ensure I'd have the dress completed by Christmastime. It wasn't an easy task with all of the other festivities of the season, but thankfully, I was able to; and I couldn't be more pleased with the results!

I've made so many other dresses for myself before, but unlike the others, this one is truly flattering to my figure. At the same time, it's both modest and feminine - a trio which is almost unheard of in women's fashion today. And I'd have to say, that's really what I love most about the dress [and inspired era]. When I step into it, I feel no need to cinch my waist or adorn my face in order to feel more physically attractive. I feel no need to create a revealing neckline or skirt in order to feel confident. What I do feel... is actually joy.

I feel joy because I can know I am honoring the Lord through my mode of dress, and because I can still create a unique garment I absolutely adore. For those reasons, The Thirties Project has quickly become a favorite of mine, and I can't wait to start the tradition of wearing it every Christmas! :)

Psst, I also made his matching bow tie! ;)








Comments

Popular Posts