Vintage on a Budget?



As much as I'd gladly forget about my the status of my bank account for that lovely 1940s dress, in truth I know I really ought to stick to a budget (yes, I sadly have an allowed budget specifically for vintage items). But sticking to a budget while searching for quality vintage can really be quite a hard feat. I've noticed within the last few years since vintage fashion has become "in", that clothing is becoming pretty costly for the average person to buy. Even for people who are well able afford it, there's still pretty price tag that comes the majority of items.

As sellers are continually seeing a prospering market for vintage clothing, prices probably aren't going to drop any time soon. However, that's not to worry. There are still plenty of tips and tricks I've found to scoring excellent quality vintage at a cost I can afford. As a part-time working student also saving up for a multitude of (probably more important) things, I know you can too!



#1, Check your local thrift stores.

All you'll need is a whole lot of time, a little bit of luck, and returning home with some vintage treasures shouldn't be too difficult. I personally love checking out thrift stores before I resort to resale boutiques or online shopping. For one thing, it's because I never know exactly what I'll find there. Happening across that perfect, unexpected garment feels incredibly rewarding, doesn't it? For another, it's because thrifting is pretty much as affordable as it gets. So many people will donate their vintage clothing without even knowing there's a market for it. In other words -  at least in the way I picture it - the story might go something like this: "This old stole was great-grandma's. It seems too old-fashioned for anybody to possibly want, but I'd hate to just throw it away...".

Even after items are priced, the affordability of the thrifting option doesn't change. In my search(es), I've never found a vintage garment over $10; and in fact, during my most recent search, I found a stunning early 70's dress for only $2.50!! So definitely check your thrift stores - and trust me, there are treasures that unknowingly await!

#2, Stop by a garage sale or two.

Likewise, garage-saling can be an extremely affordable way to obtain vintage clothing. Although, you will need plenty of patience if you choose this route. I usually have to make numerous stops at [different] sales before I find anything worth acquiring. But as you can purchase some really nice things for next to nothing, all of the time spent is totally worth it!

If nothing else, I've found that a day spent garage-saling can be a simple, but fun and fruitful bonding experience for me and the ladies in my family. So there's another great reason for you to consider giving this option a go. :)

#3, Look into purchasing online.

Even though purchasing clothing online is clearly the priciest of these options, I wouldn't immediately write it out. I've personally had wonderful experiences with online shopping; and again, all it takes is some patience (plus a little bit of buyers' caution).

Now I understand that some people feel Etsy has a tendency to be overpriced, but I have to say it's always my go-to source for online shopping. I've purchased items off of Poshmark and Ebay, to name a few other sites, but I haven't had the greatest experiences with either. That's not to say I wouldn't recommend checking those options out. I just feel that overall, Etsy is the safer route; especially when shopping vintage.

It really just comes down to the fact that I've always had positive experiences with sellers. Not only do they communicate well with their buyers, but they're truly very knowledgeable about what it is they're trying to sell. You can definitely rest assured that Etsy sellers are giving you a quality item that has received proper, loving care!

There are a few specific [Etsy] shops I know of which offer affordable vintage clothing without sacrificing item quality. If you're interested in those, I'll link them (and all of my favorite thrift stores too, for that matter) at the end of this post!

#4, visit local [vintage] resale shops

Now kind of surprisingly, this is something I've not yet done. There are only a few stores that specialize in selling vintage clothing here in Cincinnati, and as it turns out, they all happen to be a bit far of a drive from my home. I'll still link them below, though, for those of you who live in the area would like to check them out. They certainly seem to be excellent places to look!



This pretty much wraps it up as far as my shopping advice for you goes. I truly hope these tips will be of help to you as you venture into the vintage clothing market!

As always, don't hesitate to leave any questions, or even shopping advice of your own in the comments below! And remember, making vintage shopping compatible with a reasonable budget is possible; you simply need the know-how. :)



Allyson's favorite stores:

Thrifting:

Goodwill, Loveland OH
Goodwill, Montgomery OH
The Salvation Army, West Chester OH
New 2 You, Mason OH
The Mason Boutique, Mason OH

Etsy:

Holliepoint Vintage - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HolliePoint
LoveCharles Vintage - https://www.etsy.com/shop/LoveCharles
Croatiavintage - https://www.etsy.com/shop/croatiavintage
AtticFlowers - https://www.etsy.com/shop/AtticFlowers
VintageZipper -  https://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageZipper
SassySisterVintage - https://www.etsy.com/shop/SassySisterVintage

Local Boutiques:

Casablanca Vintage, Cincinnati OH - http://casablancavintage.com/
Talk of the Town, Cincinnati OH - https://www.talkofthetowncincy.com/
Gayle's Vintage Clothing, Milford OH - https://www.facebook.com/gaylesvintageclothing/
Chicken Lays an Egg, Cincinnati OH - https://www.facebook.com/chickenlaysanegg/



Comments

Popular Posts